Thursday, July 18, 2013

30 Day Challenge / Rapid Weight Loss Results



Coming back from in-residence training, I was around 260 and carrying much more fat than I wanted to. The goal of the initial phase of my diet was to lose as much weight as I could, as fast as I could. I got on the same program that I used in 2007 when I lost 65 pounds in 16 weeks and guess what? I worked again!

Every time I need to drop some quick pounds, after the holidays or in preparation for a physical fitness test, I get back on the Rapid Weight Loss wagon and achieve comparable results. I’ve been criticized for years about my practices of ‘crash-cutting’ and ‘dirty bulking’ and I’ve been told time and time again and it isn’t good for me and it won’t work forever; I keep coming back and proving the critics wrong, most of whom believe that making slight modifications and losing 10 pounds over a year is the real way to get healthy results. Life is short; make things happen.


13.04.12: 257.454@ 23.4%
(197.104 Lean Mass / 60.350 Fat Mass)
13.05.10: 237.050@ 18.7%
(192.780 Lean Mass / 44.270 Fat Mass)

 Weeks 1-4:
-4.32 pounds Lean Mass
-16.08 pounds Fat Mass

Following this I transitioned to a diet that I’ve tested a few times in the past, it’s by the same genius behind what I based my Rapid Weight Loss program off of. The diet is a play on carb cycling with the goals of gaining muscle while losing fat. Personally, I believe that you end up spinning your wheels if you try to both at the same time. I’m a fan of ‘crash-cutting’, even at the expense of muscle mass, and ‘dirty bulking’ because if you want to get big, you’ve got to get nasty.

The longest I’ve tested this cycling diet in the past was nine weeks, the nine weeks leading up to my first North American Strongman show. While I won the show and came in feeling like I looked my best ever, I wasn’t utilizing the BodPod as I should have been so I can’t tell if or what the changes to my body composition were but I do know, for those nine weeks I ate like a king, lost weight, felt cut up and was more fast and powerful then I can ever remember being.

But... It wasn’t as easy to lose weight on the cycling diet as it was on the Rapid Weight Loss model, that’s why it was so important to drop the 19 pounds as fast as I could / did.

Moving forward to the cycling diet, I’m going to do a better job of getting in the BodPod to see if it really is the Holy Grail of diets for strength athletes.

Comments? Like us on Facebook!