Monday, July 15, 2013

Pol/Fir/Mil NATs '13 - 4 Weeks Out: F@#K the groceries!!

DTG: 13JUL2013/1830
LOC: Brownfield Residence, Oroville, CA
Events: Log Press, Arm/Arm Pull, Sled Drag, Car Deads

I had National Guard duty and afterwards I went up to Oroville to train with Douglas Brownfield; his Car Dead apparatus pick height is much more close to the one at Brute than the one at my house is and because I've zeroed twice in Car Dead events, I don't want to mess around with prepping for this event. Also, as I said in a previous blog, I've really neglected training for the moving events so those were targets today.

We warmed up with a few set with the log, I think my last set was 210, clean once / press for a triple. I didn't do too much because I hit iBench pretty hard on Friday night. I still don't have an anchor chain but tonight's workout around was a tire loaded with four 45's on a loading pin. First I worked the Arm / Arm Pull with my feet braced against a 250 pound sand bag with the tire sled just over 60' away from me. I was focusing on working a rhythm trying to coordinate the legs and arms, I think I got the hang of it after three sets. I still have a long way to go to match the skills I saw in the Brute Strength Gym Functional Fitness Class videos.

I followed up each set of Arm / Arm Pull with Tire Sled drags, same weight and distance as above. I should have gone a little further but my lungs and legs were burning. Working on the form here, I tried to start off with short choppy steps and stride out towards the end. I have a bad habit of looking back over the shoulder that I need to correct. I feel like the setup at Brute will be much more challenging and I need to put something different together to train for it. After the moving events practice, I was well warmed up for Car Deads.

Brownfield and I started with a 500 pound tire on the platform and pulled it for some reps to warm up. To increase weight we parked the car on it and extended it and added weight to it, leading up to the final set, which was pretty close on contest practice. The Car Dead was loaded with my Honda Civic and 160 pounds of dumbbells in the trunk. Next to the car was a stack of four 60 pound sand bags. After each rep I knocked out, Brownfield threw in a sand bag up, I get all but the last rep, it was heavy.


It's about an hour's drive from Brownfield Residence to the Fortress of Solitude and I stopped off on the way to grab some groceries. About an hour after getting home I was cooking dinner and bringing stuff in from the car, On my last trip I walked in, set my gym bag and groceries on the floor, stood up and pulled a muscle in my lower back hard. It wasn't immediately as bad as when I wrenched my back with the 740 Frame Dead about a year ago. I'm writing this up a few days later and my lower back in still tender. Hopefully I won't have to pull out of P/F/M NATs because of this. I'll give it a few more days rest and then try to hit the weights again. I can't believe that way it all unfolded; fuck the groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment