Monday, July 22, 2013

Pol/Fir/Mil NATs '13 - 3 Weeks Out: Active Recovery

DTG: 20JUL2013/1100
LOC: Fortress of Solitude
Events: Arm/Arm Pull, Sled Drag


Since last Saturday's back injury I've taken 3 days off, got a massage, seen a chiropractor and spent a lot of time on the ice pack. I felt good enough for a little active recovery today...

I only had about an hour to get a combat quick turn mission in, and then was just enough to roll the tire, move the frame out, unravel my lead rope, hook some chains up, get in my workout and put everything away. 

I was sitting in the tire, I didn't have anyone to pull my rope so the tire it was today. It took a lot of the leg drive part out of it, also the shackle dragging behind the frame killed any inertia that may have been there. After recovering I grabbed the shackle and did a backward drag, trying to keep a good pace with short, choppy steps. The rope's about 90 feet, I was probably going 80 feet each way.


Doomsday Frame = 350 Pounds
Chain = 30 Pounds
Shackle = 45 Pounds
Rope = 90'
All I had time for was two sets of each Arm / Arm Pull and Chain (Sled) Drag. I wanted to finish with some work on the rower but, I didn't have time today. 

The back's feeling pretty good. What the Russian massage girl said was it wasn't injured, just really tight and the chiropractor confirmed it. The Car Dead was a lower pick than I'm used to using and when I stiff legged the groceries I most likely cramped everything in a nasty way. Doc also said, even with light things, bend the knees. 

I'm going to go get another massage and another adjustment and then start smashing weights again.

DTG: 21JUL2013/1330
LOC: Fortress of Solitude
Events: Log Press / Axle Press (Both Clean Once, Press for Reps)


I wasn't going to hit the weights today but, I had an epiphany. I'm back to work full time, I have a 7.5 week old newborn and my 11 year old daughter has soccer games on the weekends; I need to get my sessions in when I can. I had about an hour today so I decided to hit Overhead.

Last time I hit the log, I got 4 reps with 240 pounds, I had let it go too long between visits to Doc Ellyson and I heard pops and clicks all the way down my spine while catching the 3rd rep. Today I when up to event weight (250) and hit it for two sets. I wasn't very solid with my first set, the first few reps were a littl off kilter, the last few felt better. I wasn't happy with it so I changed from my Oly shoes to my wrestling shoes and gave it another go, I didn't get as many reps on the second set but it was a better set.

Thinking forward to Open Nationals... IF I qualify for Open Nats... Overhead will be my biggest challenge so I followed up my Log with some Axle work and knocked about seven triples with 213. And with that I was out of time. I should have done some Keg Press and I should have practiced for the Conan's Wheel record but; I was out of time.
Comments? Like us on Facebook!

~SAVAGE~