Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pol/Fir/Mil NATs '13 - 5 Weeks Out

DTG: 07JUL2013/1130
LOC: Fortress of Solitude
Events: BiggDogg Logg Press, Push-Pull, Arm/Arm Pull, Conan's Wheel

Today Douglas Brownfield came over and we worked on our timing on pressing the BiggDogg Logg. If I go to Nationals, I'm going to need to make improvements with the overhead implements by leaps and bounds and I think that starts now. In reviewing lots of YouTube footage of big log presses, there's a hidden 'sweet spot' right at the top that most of the biggest pressers capitalize on. So, I began the endless quest for the sweet spot.

Having warmed up with the Logg, I was ready for Push-Pull Medley practice and went through 3 times at 70% 85% and Contest Weight *Keg was only 90%. It took a while to set everything up but it was good you move through it all, I learned that just like with the moving events, smooth is fast. I'll hit the components individually and then set everything up in another week or two. I need to load my keg to 240 or 245. I have a Keg that weighs 252, maybe I oughta just man up and work with that.

200 Keg Press
The Arm/Arm Pull coming up is still TBD. I have some gear that I need to take to my welder loaded in the back of Big Black, so I did a seated Arm/Arm pull at about 9,500lbs system weight. I felt like it went too fast, the truck pretty much rolled consistently from the initial big pull. For the second set, we loaded 2x100's into a tire, this was much more challenging as I had to fight for every inch of it. At about 60' I had Brownfield pull one of the plates off and finished the 30' of rope that I had left.

We finished with some Conan's Wheel. Gary Montoya is hosting a Record Breaker in conjunction with Northern Nevada's Strongest Man the weekend after Pol/Fir/Mil NATs and I'd like to take a stab at the Conan's Wheel Record. I took 200, 400 and 600 for a few laps. When I failed with the 600, I was about 50' shy of the current record. My lunges gave out before my legs did.

All and all, a pretty good events day. We went from 11:30-4:00. I skipped Car Deads, again. For the up-coming show and the record attempt, I need to start conditioning work, and I need to start it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment